rough clarity

Thursday, March 15, 2007

report for arnold's country.


Good morning, afternoon, or evening, whichever it is for you, because, well, I have no clue. This whole Cali time swing has me all screwed up, but I'm not complaining. Sacramento (where I am) is a lot more than I expected. It's very, very modern, but yet, has an old town feel. And everything is green.

Like really green. It's a welcome change from the bland state Indiana is in during this time of the year.


I'm here covering the NCAA First Round Men's Basketball Tournament for IU and the Indiana Daily Student as a photographer. Yesterday, IU had its availability day and a short 40 minute public practice. Basically there were interviews and then a practice that consisted of stretching and shooting. There was no offense work, no harsh words, and Kelvin smiled just about the whole time. And I must say, the Hoosiers were lights out on the rims here. Like, whoa. I think the Hoosiers found the one benefit of ARCO arena -- the shooting background is not deep at all. That's about the best I can say for the place because I'm truly surprised an NBA team could actually play there. The old Market Square Arena put this place to shame. And that place wasn't that special.

Our hotel room is very, very nice. I'm pretty sure Arnold (you know, he's the governator) can see in our room, as the state capitol that was built in the mid 1800s, is right out the window. It's a gorgeous building with beautiful trees all around. The picture is what it's like standing on the balcony.

Today, we don't really have to be over to ARCO until around 5ish, but who knows when we'll get there. The Hoosiers have Gonzaga, and unlike the rest of the world who probably knows better, I really think they'll win it. The Zags are the nation's Cinderella team every year, but this year they'll get knocked out fast. As for UCLA, that's a different story.

That's about it from Sac-town, and tomorrow I'll have an update (hopefully, they charge 9.95 a day for internet!!) about tonight's game (i'd give you a halftime analysis, but ARCO is stupid about their internet policies.) and my adventures to Old Sacramento, around the State Capitol, and potentially the California State Railroad Musuem.

Later, peeps.

No comments: